Tenant Protection

We deal with tenants only. If you are a landlord, please visit the Landlord Self Help at:


We give legal advice & representation to people with low incomes in the following situations:

  • If you are at risk of eviction from your housing (private housing, City-owned housing, non-profit housing)
  •  If housing repairs are needed
  •  If there are other disputes with your landlord
  •  If you are at risk of losing a rent subsidy

Tenants have the right to complain if the landlord:

  • Interfered with your enjoyment of the place you rent.
  •  Harassed you.
  •  Entered your apartment illegally.
  •  Did not do maintenance and repairs

There are two main laws or “Acts” that deal with landlord and tenant disputes. They are: the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006., the Housing Services  Act (if you live in subsidized housing (social housing) this Act also applies to you).

The law is very different for members of housing co-ops. It is called the Cooperative Corporations Act.

Tenants most frequently have problems with their landlord if they have not paid their rent on time or have caused damage or a disturbance. The landlord will try to evict the tenant in these instances.

Tenants often need to get repairs done to their apartment and are not sure how to go about it.

A tenant or a landlord can go to the Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB) if they have a dispute. The LTB is like a court. This involves filling out forms and it can cost money to file the forms, depending on the issue.

The tenant and landlord can try to settle the case using a mediator at the LTB. If the landlord and the tenant cannot reach an agreement in the meeting with the mediator, both the landlord and the tenant speak with an adjudicator who will listen to both sides and make a decision.

Members of our staff are at the LTB on the day of the hearing to give last minute advice and information. This is called “duty counsel”. Ask to talk with us.

Repair Issues

If you need to get repairs done, first ask the landlord to fix the problem. If nothing is done, write a letter and ask the landlord to do the repair by a certain date. Keep a copy of the letter. If nothing is done, call the City (property standards department) and ask them to send an inspector to your unit. The City may be able to get the landlord to make the repair. If nothing happens, you will have to take the landlord to the LTB. Call us if you are having repair problems

For more housing information visit: http://yourlegalrights.on.ca/legal-topic/housing-law